Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Blogging Etiquette

As I am new to blogging I was not sure if it was polite for me to respond to comments on blog entries or if this was just an area for people to comment on the posts. I hope I have not appeared rude by not responding to individual comments. I really appreciate the feedback the community has given and especially the ideas for additional regiments. I looked at a few of your blogs and have noticed that you sometimes reply so I will be adding comments to the posts from time to time. I really have to get a good digital camera, I borrowed one from work for the last miniatures pics. I really liked the Abdul's idea of a Monte-Cristo officer adventuring in Cavenderia. Should he raise an infantry regiment or cavalry troop? Die Dame Aurora Dragoons? However the regiment or troop progresses I like the idea of the salmon pink with the Cavenderia blue. I will work on the models. The first battalion of IR-1 is nearly complete in lead miniatures and I can not wait to get the photos on-line. I have not decided how to Brigade the different regiments together. In might and reason roughly two regiments is a Brigade for gaming purposes. Historically there did not appear to be a specific way regiments were brigaded together I was thinking IR-1/IR-2, IR-3/IR-4 etc. but that seems rather boring so I may roll the dice for random brigading. Let me know if you have any thoughts. I think I will pose this question on TMP as well.

4 comments:

Snickering Corpses said...

There's definitely nothing wrong with replying to comments.

As far as brigading, I would say you can do it however you most like. ;)

For my last battle, I formed the brigades somewhat arbitrarily. The BNL forces had two Freikorps brigaded together, both because they were mercenaries and because it was hoped the reliable battalion would stiffen the unreliable one. In practice, the only benefit of having the reliable and unreliable brigaded together was that the reliable was elite enough not to run when the unreliable did. ;)

My Hesse-Engelburg forces in the battle, on the other hand, paired off more exerpienced units with inexperienced in the first two brigades, but formed a "heavy" brigade of grenadiers and Highlanders for its reserve.

I remember seeing one wargamer recommend brigading your most senior unit with your least, and so on and so forth, so that when marching onto the field in a column of brigades the two battalions could split and march off left and right, and the next brigade do the same, and so on, so that when the last brigade marched into place in the center, you'd have an entire battle line formed from most senior to least senior regiment.

Of course, if your army is newly raised, seniority is likely to be numerical in order raised, since none have won special honors yet.

Bluebear Jeff said...

Echoing Jonathan's comments, there is nothing wrong with commenting on your own posts. Or not commenting for that matter.

Comments are particularly called for when someone asks a question.

As for 'brigading', for most 18th century armies it seemed to be a temporary matter of just who was available that particular battle.

An exception that does come to mind is the Prussian army of the SYW. There were permanent pairings at least in the matter of their grenadiers being combined together.

And in the above case, the pairings were sometimes adjacent regimental numbers; but quite often they were far apart.

So do what pleases you.


-- Jeff

abdul666 said...

Afaik there is nothing wrong with holding a dialog along comments, turning them into a thread just as on a forum.

Re. the Dame Aurora Dragoons, Dragoons having originated as mounted infantry can very well wear the same 'Cavenderia blue' coat as the infantry (while I suspect it would be different for the true 'Horse' / Reiters / Cuirassiers -yet a few armies, such as that of Sweden, were extremely uniform). Anyway, Dragoons or Foot, I suggest breeches of a pinkish (rather than yellowish) light buff (# eggshell) to avoid a visual clash with the salmon pink of the facings. Regimental metal could be gold (yellow tricorn lace) and as a dashing note the stock / tie of the MC 'deep pink'.

Re. brigading, when whole corps were paired, the most senior ones at least tend to be associated by prestige - e.g. in France the prestigious Gendarmerie could be brigaded with no less than the Household Cavalry. Thus I suspect that, if present on the same theatre, IR1 Die Dame's and IR3 Prinz Geoffrey can only be brigaded with each other, given their patronage. The requirement relaxed for less exalted corps, and I suggest you use the aesthetical appeal of the associated (facing) colors as the main guide when brigading your 'line' regiments?

Best regards,
Jean-Louis

abdul666 said...

Some regiment(s) may be kept unbrigaded, under the direct control of the CiC. Either to be his last reserve / ultima ratio (a post of honour and prestige); or to hold a specially important / dangerous point of the battleline. A regiment playing this role on a regular basis would gain a status at least equal to that of converged grenadiers.
This could well be the case of IR-4 Fitzgerald, since it is specially linked to the 'roots' of Cavenderia. And related to the fact that alone it does not have a blue coat / conveniently avoid to have it in a polychromatic 'blue + green' brigade?