Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Bavarian Update

I have been working on my 28mm Crusader Bavarian Infantry Regiment (IR) Kurprinz for the Bring Your Own Battalion (BYOB) game for this year's Seven Years War Association Convention. To the left is the four (4) pound regimental gun that will be accompanying my battalion. Historically, Bavarian regiments had four (4) regimental guns per regiment, I am going to have four (4) crew members when complete so that will represent this will represent the entire regimental guns. These figures are not complete but I could not help posting them anyway. Thanks to TMP members who helped me with uniform and gun carriage color details. The different colors in the carriage and artillery uniforms will add visual interest to the battalion as well as give me some additional fire power to make up for the smaller 54 man battalion.

This is a side shot of the artillery. Crusader did a good job in making the wheels at the miniatures chest-height. These miniatures are Austrians as Crusader does not make a Bavarian line yet, hence no lapels on the uniforms. I may paint them in later but probably will not. Any critiques on the painting, uniforms etc. is appreciated.


In order to save a little money I ordered two 24-man regiment packs which would give me 48 miniatures in order to fill up the ranks economically I decided to order a pack of eight (8) grenadiers to up my number to 54. The grenadiers are proportional to the actual scale and they are fun to paint and will make the unit a little more interesting. As mentioned in an earlier post I went with the blue breeches and I added the detail of the stockings showing just below them.

This is the rear of the Grenadier showing the hat-cloth with yellow trim. I am not sure what color straps the bag on the left hip should have, anyone?

This is one of the better faces I have done recently. Just a close-up of the eyes. Biles list the artillery uniform as having light straw facings, these may be too yellow. The cuffs are listed as dark blue. This is the blue I have been using for the fusilier and grenadier uniforms. I thought it would make the artillerymen appear as part of the unit but they may need to be darker. Comments appreciated.




Here is the first grand division in progress. The less painted miniatures are in the back. I think this photo gives an impression of what the unit will look like when completed. I noticed the fusilier second from the left has a misshapen nose, he will be relegated to the back ranks for his uncomly appearance in the future.

To the far left is a Crusader general I purchased a while ago to represent Prinz Geoffrey. Bavarian generals had no ser uniforms at the beginning of the Seven Years War but slowly were directed to outfit themselves as the Austrian generals (let me know if I am incorrect on this), therefore I am going to paint this miniature in Austrian white coat and red lapels cuffs etc. similar to my Field Marshall Duan picture I use as the Prinz Geoffrey Avatar. Let me know your thoughts on these.
The next set of Cavenderian diplomats arrived from Eureka Miniatures yesterday and I will start painting and dispatching them soon. I have a list of where they are headed but will post that when they are painted up. As always, you can click on any of the pictures above to make them very large and close up.

13 comments:

David Morfitt said...

Splendid painting! The general figure looks like a dark Lord of Mordor at the moment... :-)

All the best,

David
http://nba-sywtemplates.blogspot.com/

P.S. Where's that Leib flag gone?

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Very sharp looking troops so far. Go man, go!

Best REgards,

Stokes

Capt Bill said...

You have a very lovely painting style. By the way our Ambassador arrived today. Thanks! I plan to take some pictures to post, then send you our Ambassador. What a great idea you had exchanging real Ambassadors. Best regards...Bill

Prinz Geoffrey said...

Glad he made it safe, hope he sends a letter to the Prinz discussing your nation through the EvE site.

Bluebear Jeff said...

Your troops are looking quite good to my eyes. I particularly like the slight differences in highlights/shading that allows some uniforms to look a bit more faded than others . . . thus a unit with some history to it.


-- Jeff

Prinz Geoffrey said...

Cool, I was hoping that was the impression, I figured clothing would were at different speed for different men. The only reason they are lighter blue coats is from fading. I do my ACW yankees that way too, I thought it was my dimentia to paint things that way, I am glad someone noticed.

Der Alte Fritz said...

I had not heard the one about Bavarian generals wearing Austrian white coats before. Where did you find that (just curious). * I would be tempted to paint the generals in the same colors as the Lieb Regiment, thinking that the senior officers might have come from that regiment. If these are meant to be Cavendaria regiments that "happen to look like Bavarians" then it doesn't matter, I guess.

Everything is looking good so far.

* now I'm going to have to do some research as it has piqued my curiosity.

Prinz Geoffrey said...

This is my only source http://www.miniatures.de/bavarian-generals-1756-1763.html
after having reread it I see it was only a decree to the Reichsarmee Bavarian contingent and therefore would not apply to the auxilary army. I painted up one general with a blue coat and black lapels earlier perhaps I will use him instead. Thanks for the review Fritz.

Fitz-Badger said...

Excellent paintwork! The troops make a very impressive sight!

Der Alte Fritz said...

I posted a picture of a Bavarian general officer on EvE this evening.

littlejohn said...

Really beautiful paint work!

A J said...

Excellent painting! I like the shade of blue you used for the coats.

MurdocK said...

Do not send that broken-nosed veteran to the rear ranks!

Such a leader must act from the front.

Lest he decide that his sacrifice so far has not been to the soverign's liking and decide that service is no longer his calling...